Thursday, November 1, 2012

Organizing home improvement chaos

Secretly, outside of my messy baking and scattered crafts, I’m a charts girl. I like things neat, tidy, laid out on a beautiful, color coded excel doc that you could frame it’s so gorg.

It was only natural that my head quickly started spinning when we started to believe that this house could actually be ours, and then was. All the talk of caulking and primer and tile and toilets along with the many, many dollar signs agonized my brain.

I needed to chartize.

I hopped on excel and set up a pretty simple chart. One tab for every room, including each bedroom, living room, entryway, etc.

Columns include the order in which each task is to be done (i.e. Remove wallpaper is number 4, and prime is 5, paint is 6, etc), cost, date the task was updated, and additional notes. And when my husband and I sit to go over our plans, we can be on the same page, literally.

Now, of course other things will come up, and it’s not an end-all, be-all perfect solution, but it works for us to keep us on the same page, and keep our priorities in check.

I've made the doc public here if it may help anyone else. Enjoy!

Keep an eye here too, as we close on November 15 and start (de)construction that night!

No comments :

Post a Comment