Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Roasted Root Vegetables



One of my absolute favorite things to enjoy during the cold Minnesota fall and winter are roasted root vegetables.  Roasting brings out an incredible sweetness and the warmth is comforting when you are chilled to the core.

I find that most root vegetables marry well together. I adjust my varieties but there are some vegetables I use consistently which are onion, garlic, and fennel. If you aren't familiar with fennel give it a try.  It is very aromatic and tastes similar to anise, which is used to flavor black licorice, but don't let that scare you! I hate black licorice (which is saying something because I am the Candy Queen), but I adore fennel.

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 large red onion, chopped
  • 1 orange fleshed sweet potato, cubed
  • 1/2 to 1 fennel bulb (1/2 if it's a really big one)
  • 3-5 garlic cloves
  • 2 turnips, cubed
  • 2-3 parsnips, sliced into coins
  • about 2 tsp dried rosemary leaves
  • about 1 tsp ground thyme
  • 2 tsbp olive oil


Add more or less of whatever you want. If you aren't enamored with onion, use less. To be quite frank, I don't measure any of this. I eyeball it to my liking. The size of my cubes are pretty small, less than 1 inch.

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

Try your best to cut the sweet potato, turnips and parsnips into similar sizes.  Put these in a bowl and drizzle most of the olive oil on top. Toss to combine. Spread on a baking sheet (I line mine with a silpat liner) and sprinkle on the rosemary and thyme. Put this in the oven and set a timer for 15 minutes.

In the meantime, roughly chop the garlic, fennel and onion. Toss in remaining olive oil. After the timer goes off, combined this with the vegetables in the oven. Distribute them well. Roast for another 15-20 minutes. Remove from the oven and serve!

These are great alongside quinoa with pesto.

No comments :

Post a Comment